KOTA KINABALU: CAFE HOPPING

NOTE: Google 360 is still being tested out and I've noticed it looks oversized and funky if you view the blog on mobile so please bear with me while I figure out how to fix the coding!


4 very different cafes, each unique in its own way, eating my way through it all!

SYARIKAT BIRU BIRU

Number one on my list is "Biru Biru Cafe & Bar", located in KK town, this cafe is a part of a motel/inn known as Borneo Backpackers. I'm not lying when I tell you they serve (in my opinion) the BEST waffles with coconut ice cream and gula melaka; I'd go back right now just to have three plates of it if I could.


The interior was filled with vintage items like posters and vintage Chinas. it just exuded homey, laid back, vintage vibe. There was this particular piece of furniture that intrigued me a lot, it was a lamp made entirely of film negatives; the negatives consisted of photos of different landmarks around the world. ( I just thought it was really cool.)


I just figured out that I could actually embed 360 google views into my blog post so here's a 360 view of the inside and outside of the cafe!



LOCATION MAP:



  • Address: 24, Lorong Dewan, Pusat Bandar Kota Kinabalu, 88000 Kota Kinabalu, Sabah, Malaysia
  • Phone # : +60 11-1412 3490
  • Opening Hours: 0800-1100 | Sunday to Monday
Personal opinion: 10/10 would recommend for the waffles ( I didn't get the chance to try anything else because the waffles are literally all I wen for) and atmosphere (think old coffee shop charm with a twist). I thought that the price was reasonable for the food as well; generally it's just a really chill places to be on a lazy Saturday night pr a sleepy Sunday morning.

360 views courtesy of Google & Kezerk Imaging



PARTY PLAY LIFESTYLE CAFE

This was a very last minute place we popped by and I was really sleepy by then so I didn't actually take any photos. Aside from the beer, we didn't actually order anything from the main menu, we did get a chance to try two of their desserts though, and that itself is enough to convince me to go back when I'm in town. We had a serving of dark chocolate soufflĂ© (top) and  ice cream cigar sticks which came in two different flavors, chocolate & vanilla (bottom).


If you're one to enjoy live music, then this could be your shindig (?) Aside from the desserts, I can't vouch for anything else, but I'd definitely give it a go if I were you.

The street view for this particular cafe wasn't updated and dating back to 2014 so I'm just gonna add in the location instead.

LOCATION MAP:



  • Address: 9, Jalan Gaya, 88000 Kota Kinabalu, Sabah, Malaysia
  • Phone # : +60 88-311 210
  • Opening Hours:  1130 0001 (Mon-Wed, Sun) | 1130-0100 (Thu-Sat)

OCTOBER COFFEE HOUSE

Honestly, these three cafes are relatively near to each other as they're all located in KK Town; this particular one was rated the number one place to go to for coffee & tea in KK. If I remember correctly, we went there after dinner around 830/9pm and man, the place was jammed pack, we had to wait around a little before actually being able to find a spot to sit down.

The iced coffee came in little potion bottles but I'm not actually much of a coffee person, so I can't tell you how amazing it was but I do in fact, like tea. They had a large variety for you to choose from and it was indeed very aromatic and flavorful. I also really liked the fact that their juice is awfully fresh, with no sugar added (I watched them juice the apples & oranges) and super pulpy too. Their New York Cheesecake was ace (it being freshly baked didn't hurt either), super moist but still soft. 


The only thing I didn't like about this place was that it was really crowded and a little too loud for my taste, but then again, can't blame them since they are #1 on tripadvisor.

There wasn't any 360 view available of the inside of the cafe , just a street view so here's that:



LOCATION MAP:


  • Address: Jalan K.K. Bypass, Pusat Bandar Kota Kinabalu, 88000 Kota Kinabalu, Sabah, Malaysia
  • Phone # : +60 16-843 5578
  • Opening Hours:  1100-0000 | Sun-Sat
(we wanted to visit the Print Cafe which was right across October Coffee House but it wasn't open at the time we went)


THE B SIDE

This cafe is all things aesthetics, definitely modern industrial with a chic twist. With intricately placed dangling lights, effortless and rustic brick walls and unpainted edgy cement counters, The B Side is definitely someplace Instagram and Tumblr worthy. Stepping in feels like you're in one of those hole-in-the-wall cafes by the side of New York staring out while sipping your latte.


One of the things I enjoyed was the art installations, they are all done by local artists are all for sale. The B Side changes the artwork installation every now and then in order to promote local artist talents.


When we visited, it was right after Star Wars came out and they had these little hand drawn doodles hung up and showcased on the wall.


Not only that, the same Star Wars artwork was printed and stuck onto their juice and cold brew bottles. The chocolate cake is my recommendation to you, it was really dense and thick and super chocolatey, I didn't really like the tiramisu probably because they didn't incorporate wine into it as traditional tiramisu does, but still decent nonetheless.


I found the main course to be relatively good and filling. Solid 7.5/10 for me. We ordered American Breakfast with scrambled eggs and smoked salmon (Top Left), Soft Shell Crab Pasta (Top Right), Seafood Tomato Based Pasta (Bottom Left) and Pumpkin Puree Salad (Bottom Right). Did the food blow me out of the water? No. But would I go back again in general? Yeah.


Another 360 view of the cafe! The B Side is located a little further off compared to the first three cafes I talked about, it took us a good 45 minutes to find it because it was located somewhere more secluded. 




LOCATION MAP:

  • Address: 21, Lido Plaza, Jalan Nosoob Hungab, 88300 Kota Kinabalu, Sabah, Malaysia
  • Phone # : +60 17-283 7957
  • Opening Hours: 1000-2300 (Tue-Fri) | 0900-0000 (Sat-Sun)
  • Kitchen closes at 2145
  • Cash-term only
  • Facebook | Instagram

360 views courtesy of Google & Zenith Imaging

Comments

  1. Replies
    1. right?! the cafes were all lovely !

      Delete
  2. So many cute cafes! Will definitely go to these places during my vacation. Omg and the fact that you gave street views and dorections to them is awesome! Visit more places please so can I pay thema visit and eat more good food! Keep blogging! ;D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you!! i personally really loved the first cafe so i insist you try it out if you're ever in the area. will be posting another one up real soon! thanks for popping by and reading :)

      Delete
  3. Came across your side blog from what I presume is your main, and I am IN LOVE!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

MIRI: CHOMPS!

KUCHING: SAGO WORM ADVENTURES